"You have Vestibular Migraines, and I can help you."

 On September 4th, exactly 3 months to the day after my major episode, I heard the words I've been wanting to hear basically my entire life, I can help you.

I was referred to Dr. Singh at Swedish by my vestibular rehab therapist. These two, along with a dietitian are going to help me manage my vestibular migraines. I am extremely lucky because I am in great hands with two professionals that care a great deal about their patients. They understand the fear and uncertainty that comes along with being newly diagnosed with a chronic condition and trying to manage it. 

"You have Vestibular Migraines, and I can help you." I cried. Right there in his office. I was right in the middle of an episode and was feeling so defeated. I cried because I've been waiting for someone to understand. I cried because I felt validated. I cried because Vestibular Migraine (VM) is a chronic condition and I'm scared. This is not the diagnosis that I wanted, but the one that I was expecting. I remember reading up on what VM was for the first time and having to set down my phone halfway through because it sounded so terrifying, and like exactly what I had been dealing with for most of my life. Its hard for me to explain everything that led up to this moment and all my feelings surrounding it. Maybe I’ll touch on that in a future post. 😊

So, what is VM? 

VM is a type of migraine that's main characteristic is vertigo and dizziness, but it’s also so much more than that. I’ve listed my symptoms below. 

VM is not like a regular migraine, but it does have similarities. The two main differences are that with VM you don’t always experience head pain, but instead the main debilitating symptom is vertigo and disorientation. With VM the vertigo doesn’t always stop between episodes. You can experience symptoms at any time.

So, what now?

Now I get back to living my “new” normal. I am choosing to live and not be defeated. VM is something that I have, but it is not me. I am so much more than this. My family and I deserve the best me that I can be. Luckily, I have an amazing support system with family and friends. Dr Singh has come up with a care plan for me that involves meeting with a dietitian, continuing vestibular rehab therapy and starting medication if I need it. VM is something that will never go away although it does have the potential to be basically nonexistent with the right diet and lifestyle changes. I have met many people through social media that have gone into remission and are living totally normal lives without fear. 😊 That’s exciting and gives me hope! I have complete faith in myself that I will come out of this on top. I just need to get through the hard times now.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."

 - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

 

 If anyone has any questions or you or someone you know is suffering from vertigo/dizziness, please reach out! I have done a ton of research and think that I have found the best care team in our area. Also, in the future if you or someone you know experiences dizziness and you need to talk, know that I am here and would love to help you navigate this world.
If you would like more information on balance disorders go to Vestibular.org

Take care,

Kristi

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My symptoms:

·       Headache

·       Vertigo

·       Dizziness

·       tooth/jaw pain

·       "trampoline legs"

·       Tinnitus

·       ear pain, ear pressure, ear itching

·       nausea

·       phonophobia

·       photophobia

·       visual auras

·       blurry vision

·       impaired depth perception

·       visual snow, eye strain

·       brain fog

·       fatigue

·       rocking on a boat

·       irritability, depression

·       numbness, tingling

·       feeling like things are not real

·       feeling like I am not real

·       forgetting what I'm saying mid-sentence

·       vertigo when I close my eyes

·       floating

·       falling backwards or forwards

·       poor balance

·       sinus pain

·       neck pain

The list goes on, but I think I covered most of them. 😉

Comments

Popular Posts