My health these days

As some of you know I’ve dealt with vertigo since I was small. In my 20’s I started having frequent ocular migraines. They were more of a nuisance than anything and were very infrequent. In my 30’s I started experiencing balance issues as well. 

In September I had a full blown migraine with visual and hearing auras that lasted one month. I also had some dizziness with that migraine but it wasn’t enough to make it that I couldn’t function.

On June 4th I woke up up the scariest, most severe vertigo I’ve ever experienced. It felt like my head was in a paint mixer being shook in all directions and also spinning. It was intense and terrifying. I went to the doctor once it calmed down. I was diagnosed with a sinus infection. (I also had very high blood pressure and my labs showed high blood glucose levels.) I had all the symptoms of a sinus infection. After 20 days of two rounds of antibiotics I still wasn’t better. I was still dizzy and still felt awful. I was also experiencing major auras and face numbness.

I went to an ENT doctor who said my ears were completely fine and that my vertigo was not ear related. I went to three ENT doctors and all said the same thing. My dizziness is central nervous system related. Most likely my migraines are morphing and worsening. 
My neurologist thinks that as well.
*** I have another neurologist I will be seeing in October for a third opinion.***
I’ve been seeing a whole team of doctors trying to get this to stop; neurologists, ENT, chiropractor, naturopath, vestibular rehab therapy, massage and general care.
Our healthcare system is confusing and frustrating. 
Where’s Dr House when you need him?! 😉

My entire life I’ve been ashamed of my vertigo. I always thought that the dizziness was something I was creating. 
When I was about 6 my parents took me to a bunch of doctors trying to figure out why I was dizzy. The doctor told them I had something wrong with my inner ear and I would outgrow it. They also told my parents that it was all in my head.
I have always had anxiety around my dizziness. It’s very terrifying not knowing when it will happen. Thinking it was all in my head made me ashamed, but also gave me a false sense of control over my symptoms. 
I waited to seek help until it started to become obvious that it wasn’t all in my head.

In April I started taking Prozac to help with anxiety/mood. I really think the Prozac messed with my central nervous system. It can take up to 80 days to get out of your system. That’s scary. 

My neurologist wants me to take nortriptyline.
I feel in my gut like I shouldn’t take it. I am gun shy from the Prozac. I hate putting anything into my body that has the potential to do more harm than good. I also hate the idea of taking a medication that takes time to build up and to get out of your system.

* I’ve had two MRI’s one in 2017 and one in 2019. Both were normal aside from white lesions. The lesions are consistent with migraines or depression. They also haven’t spread from 2017 to 2019 which means it is not MS. 

* VNG testing came back normal aside from square wave jerks which indicate that it’s a central nervous system issue.

* CT scan shows that my sinuses are totally fine.

* I have drastically switched my diet and started taking a whole concoction of vitamins from my naturopath.

* I started meditating every day to help with anxiety (meditation is amazing!!)

* I’m starting cognitive behavioral therapy this next week for my panic/anxiety attacks.

* I’m purchasing essential oils to help with migraine relief.

I am still experiencing my vertigo / disequilibrium at random times every day but it’s SOO much better ✨🙏✨
I’m grateful to be able to sleep! Falling asleep dizzy is very hard to do! Especially when you know waking up it will still be there.

I can’t wait to run and do yoga again! Driving without fear is pretty high up there too. 😉

I am so grateful for a healthy body and somewhat healthy brain. Things could always be worse. 
This whole experience has really taught me so much. I’m more grateful. I know that I’m strong enough... 
I’m so grateful for Eddie.
He has helped me so much. I wouldn’t have gotten through this without him. I had some very dark moments and he helped me through. He comforts me and celebrates the big and small victories with me.
My BFF, L-Dawg has been there daily for emotional support and guidance. I am so grateful for our friendship and that we’ve been through everything together. 

Our families have both been so willing to help with whatever we need. Having two small kids and multiple doctors appointments a week is hard to juggle without help. 

I am refusing to live in fear.
Any questions just ask 🙂 
Suggestions? Guidance? Similar symptoms? Please send them my way!

Prayers or good vibes are SOO appreciated!

Thanks for reading ❤️🤍❤️




Comments

  1. Sweetheart I am so sorry what your having to go thru. Back in the later 80's when we took you in for your 1st MRI we thought the Dr's knew what they were talking about. I haven't ever had a migraine, I know Dad when he was younger would get cluster headaches, which eventually went away.In my family no one has had migraines. Talk to dad's mom because she would get bad migraines. Medical technology has gotten better since the 80's. I pray you will get your answers soon. I will always be there for you, I love you so much my little Krissytinamaria!!♡♡♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweetheart I am so sorry what your having to go thru. Back in the later 80's when we took you in for your 1st MRI we thought the Dr's knew what they were talking about. I haven't ever had a migraine, I know Dad when he was younger would get cluster headaches, which eventually went away.In my family no one has had migraines. Talk to dad's mom because she would get bad migraines. Medical technology has gotten better since the 80's. I pray you will get your answers soon. I will always be there for you, I love you so much my little Krissytinamaria!!♡♡♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg lady, so sorry you’ve had to go through this! So very scary, I never knew :( you sure always make other people smile, even though inside you had so much going on yourself! You’re a beautiful person all together! I miss you tons, be strong ❤️

    Ps. My cousin Danielle went through something very similar, they had actually Started to believe it was MS...You should talk to her, although it might not be the same outcome your symptoms are almost identical and no one else understands as much as someone who's been on the same journey! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry Kristi that you are and have been going through so much! Truly it breaks my heart! I relate from my own health struggles. I am so glad you are a fighter that won’t give up! That you have Eddie and your family to support you. I would suggest talking to Dr. Lu a Neurologist at Swedish. I can get her info. She helped me with Lupus caused migraines. I had stroke from them. She is amazing and caring and determined! Duane and I will be praying for you and send you
    Our love! Please keep taking care of you! You so important to so many of us! Love, Eileen Cohrs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kristi I am so sorry to hear all of this. I had no idea you were dealing with migraines,vertigo and depression. You always seem so happy. It's amazing how we can seem so normal,like we dont have a care in the world when actually in our eyes we feel totally the opposite.
    However I have some important info for you. Your mom is right,Gma Graham, aunt Shirley (Gmas sister), Aunt Vicki and I all have had or still do have migraines. So that is definatly in your family history. Aunt Vicki has been diagnosed with bi-polar and has been prescribed medication for years. Joey and I have both been diagnosed with severe ADHD.( Guess who I got that from??? Yes Gpa)
    Although he would tell you differently, it is hereditary.
    I am so happy to hear you are getting 2nd and 3rd opinions. Drs who say it's all in your head dont have a clue what they are talking about. Go with your instinct. We have that built-in feature for a reason so don't ever 2nd guess yourself. No one knows your body as well as you do. Especially a Dr. Who, 9 times out of 10 have never even had the condition they are trying to diagnose. The women in this family are strong ass woman. we don't give in or give up for what we beleive. Gpa always says
    " only the strong survive" and that is us!!
    I love you Kristi
    I'm here with an ear if you need a little cheer. <3<3<3<3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristi, Kentons mom here. I started vertigo 15 years ago. It took forever and severe hearing loss for a diagnosis. Mine is Menier's. I cant get my hearing back but vertigo stopped. It is very terrifying. I am always afraid I will get a bout of it on my commute to Seattle, get off the bus and fall down like a drunk. Oh and add barf! Yup, they would just think me a local and leave.me there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristi, Kentons mom here. I started vertigo 15 years ago. It took forever and severe hearing loss for a diagnosis. Mine is Menier's. I cant get my hearing back but vertigo stopped. It is very terrifying. I am always afraid I will get a bout of it on my commute to Seattle, get off the bus and fall down like a drunk. Oh and add barf! Yup, they would just think me a local and leave.me there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are always such a light Kristi! I am so sorry to hear you have been experiencing these for so long. Vertigo is the worse feeling ever and I cannot imagine how debilitating it would be to experience it on such an intense level.

    I take Zoloft and I get vertigo if I miss 1 or 2 doses. I've been taking Zoloft since 2010, it definitely helps me but I always wonder if its healthy to ingest?

    I am so happy to hear you are getting multiple opinions and reaching out to friends & family. Mental health is something we all struggle with, so please don't feel alone.♡ I will be sending prayers!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts